The power of the humble paper straw to help alleviate anxiety
In recent years, issues around mental health have become far more prevalent than ever before and gaining much broader awareness and recognition.
Mental health has many forms and affects people in so many different ways; however, anxiety is a condition that affects a vast number of people.
There are many websites and social media groups that offer ideas on self-help, and one technique involving breathing exercises does get raised time and time again as an adequate remedy.
Paper straw to help alleviate anxiety
The Paper Straw Group, a Surrey-based company, have produced a brief video demonstrating the technique using a paper straw, manufactured at their Woking factory.
Even the NHS feature breathing exercises for anyone suffering from anxiety on their web site as a possibly useful way of alleviating the condition.
The NHS list the following advice as some of the things you should do if you suffer from anxiety:
- try talking about your feelings to a friend, family member, health professional or counsellor. You could also contact Samaritans, call: 116 123 or email: email@example.com if you need someone to talk to
- use calming breathing exercises
- exercise – activities such as running, walking, swimming and yoga can help you relax
- find out how to get to sleep if you’re struggling to sleep
- eat a healthy diet with regular meals to keep your energy levels stable
- consider peer support, where people use their experiences to help each other. Find out more about peer support on the Mind website
- listen to free mental wellbeing audio guides
- search and download relaxation and mindfulness apps or online community apps from the NHS apps library
While the advice does not specify the paper straw to help alleviate anxiety, it can help the process.
The NHS list the following as things not to do if suffering from anxiety:
- do not try to do everything at once – set small targets that you can easily achieve
- do not focus on the things you cannot change – focus your time and energy into helping yourself feel better
- do not avoid situations that make you anxious – try slowly building up time spent in worrying situations to reduce anxiety gradually
- try not to tell yourself that you’re alone; most people experience anxiety or fear at some point in their life
- try not to use alcohol, cigarettes, gambling or drugs to relieve anxiety as these can all contribute to poor mental health
Paper straw to help alleviate anxiety
Breathing exercise techniques have proven to help many people who suffer from the condition. This 25-second video produced by the Paper Straw Group may be of help to anyone who has anxiety. If you are affected by the effects of this common condition, watch the video and give it a go and see for yourself.
A ban on supplying plastic straws, stirrers and plastic-stemmed cotton buds has come into force in England on 1st October 2020.
The paper straw group has been manufacturing biodegradable straws since 2018. The company produces a wide variety of paper straws from personalised straws with virtually any message to corporate straws for companies wanting to amplify their brand and environmental credentials.
There is a straw for just about every occasion, and the Paper Straw Group are continually innovating to deliver on the paper straw requirements of a nation that is becoming more environmentally conscious than ever before.
The company has Halloween & Christmas themed paper straws available on their website right now.
Since the ban introduced by the Government, more and more companies in the food and beverage sector are asking the Paper Straw Group to come up with some very innovative and cool looking straws.
The company has invested in specialist machinery so they can produce wrapped paper straws and now they can even produce paper straws that double as spoons for use with smoothies.